After Injury Setback, Tim Jenson Hoping to Fight in May

Tuesday, April 5, 2011


By Kelsey Mowatt

Last month, Tim Jenson was determined to demonstrate that despite a three year hiatus from fighting, the 25 year-old-veteran remained a force in Canada’s lightweight division. The Team Toshido fighter was scheduled to face Kurt Southern in the opening round of Aggression MMA’s lightweight tourney, and in an interview with FCF, Jenson’s confidence and excitement was evident. Unfortunately for the Kelowna fighter, however, his comeback was postponed.

“Basically I shot a double leg takedown, and my rear foot folded over like a severely rolled ankle,” Jenson said, when asked about the injury that pulled him from the March 11th event. “I tore 3 ligaments and my calf muscle.”

“I was super disappointed,” Jenson added.  “The injury happened on my very last day of hard sparring. I was one week out from my fight. My weight was good; I was in great shape. My skill set felt really sharp; just one of those freak accidents that can’t be helped.”

Jenson last competed in November, 2007, when he submitted Tim Thurston with a second round armbar to extend his pro record to 6-1. Despite being regarded as one of the nation’s fastest rising lightweights, Jenson decided to focus on other career prospects to help ensure his financial security, and didn’t seek out any fights until earlier this year. Due to his recent setback, Jenson reports that his comeback will likely not be official, until later this spring or early summer.

“I’m just getting back to training now,” Jenson told FCF. “I’ve mostly been working my boxing and cardio; David Lea (Jenson’s head trainer and manger) and I are hoping for May. We’ll see how it goes.”

Jenson continues to train out of Team Toshido, with the aforementioned Lea, which for years was the home gym of current UFC welterweight, Rory MacDonald. As a result, Jenson has a keen interest in his former training partner’s upcoming April 30th bout with Nate Diaz, and not surprisingly, he’s predicting MacDonald to win.

“Once Rory gets past the reach of Diaz and is able to let his hands go, I foresee crushed facial bones for Nate, and Rory being a very happy camper,” Jenson said. “I do believe Rory has all the tools to win no matter where the fight takes place.”