Diaz and Souza Defend Titles with Submission Wins

Saturday, January 29, 2011

By FCF Staff

No Strikeforce championships changed hands at the promotion’s “Diaz vs. Cyborg” event in San Jose tonight, as both welterweight champ Nick Diaz and middleweight champion Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza defended their respective belts with submission wins. Diaz stopped a resilient and aggressive Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos with a late, second round armbar, while Souza survived an early striking onslaught from Robbie Lawler, and tapped out the veteran fighter with a third round, rear-naked-choke.

Here are the results from tonight’s Showtime broadcast. Full report to follow.

Nick Diaz def. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos via submission (armbar) - R2, 4:50
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza def. Robbie Lawler via submission (rear-naked choke) - R3, 2:00
Herschel Walker def. Scott Carson via TKO (strikes) - R1, 3:13
Roger Gracie def. Trevor Prangley via submission (rear-naked choke) - R1, 4:19
READ MORE - Diaz and Souza Defend Titles with Submission Wins

Strikeforce “Diaz vs. Cyborg” Weigh-In Results

By FCF Staff

Here are the official weigh-in results for Strikeforce’s “Diaz vs. Cyborg” card tonight in San Jose, California. The card will feature two title fights, as welterweight champ Nick Diaz will take on Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos and middleweight champion Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza will face Robbie Lawler. (Pictured: Diaz (left) and Santos square off)

The event, which will be broadcast on Showtime, will be hosted by San Jose’s HP Pavilion.

Here are the official weigh-in results.

Nick Diaz (169.5) vs. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos (169.5)
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza (184.25) vs. Robbie Lawler (184)
Herschel Walker (220.75) vs. Scott Carson (214)
Trevor Prangley (205.25) vs. Roger Gracie (206)
Nate Moore (171) vs. Nate Coy (170.5)
Isaiah Hill (155.5) vs. Bobby Stack (154.75)
Ron Keslar (179.5) vs. Eric Lawson (180)
Germaine de Randamie (135.5) vs. Stephanie Webber (135.75)
Lucas Gamaza (171) vs. James Terry (170.5)
Jenna Castillo (121) vs. Charlene Gellner (118)
Anthony Dariano (149.5) vs. Alan Perez (151)
Niko Jackson (166) vs. Ricky Jackson (164.5)
Armin Safiari (169.5) vs. Sam Bracamonte (168) 

Jacare and Lawler (right)
Walker and Carson (right)
Gracie (left) will fight Prangley

READ MORE - Strikeforce “Diaz vs. Cyborg” Weigh-In Results

Video: Showtime News Brief for "Diaz vs. Cyborg"

Friday, January 28, 2011



READ MORE - Video: Showtime News Brief for "Diaz vs. Cyborg"

Straus Latest FW Confirmed for Bellator Season Four


By FCF Staff

Bellator FC continues to confirm featherweight fighters to the promotion’s upcoming, Season Four tournament, and has announced that Daniel Straus will risk his 10 fight win streak in the competition. Straus (14-3) is the fifth man to be confirmed for the tourney, joining Eric Larkin, Kenny Foster, Georgi Karakhanyan, and Zac George.

 “Daniel was very impressive at Bellator 23 as a lightweight and he’s riding a great 10 fight win streak including some very solid wins, I’m excited to see what he can do at 145,” said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney in the official announcement.

Straus went 6-0 in 2010 and scored wins over experienced fighters like Gideon Ray, Joe Pearson and most recently Karen Darabedyan during the campaign. Straus also competed under the Bellator banner last year and earned a unanimous decision win over Chad Hinton in June.

“I like to fight at least once a month so this tournament format is perfect for me,” said Straus. “If I'm not banged up or hurt, I like to keep training and turn around and get my next fight in. I like to stay as active as possible. I never like to slow down.”

 “My focus isn't on Joe Warren right now,” said Straus while discussing the Bellator champion. “My focus is on the first person I fight and putting a beating on him, and then it will be the second guy I fight and putting a beating on him. My biggest test isn't going to be Joe Warren, but getting to Joe Warren.”

Bellator’s fourth season of competition is set to get underway in March and will be broadcast live on MTV2.

READ MORE - Straus Latest FW Confirmed for Bellator Season Four

Strikeforce Main Card Competitors Ready for Saturday's Fights

By FCF Staff

Several of the competitors for Strikeforce’s "Diaz vs. Cyborg" event Saturday night were on hand at a pre-fight presser in San Jose, yesterday, to share their thoughts about the upcoming card.. The event, which will be broadcast on Showtime, will feature not one but two title fights, as welterweight champ Nick Diaz will take on Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos and current middleweight king Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza will face Robbie Lawler.

Rounding out the main card will be a bout between renowned BJJ practitioner Roger Gracie and Trevor Prangley, while NFL legend Herschel Walker will compete in his second, pro MMA bout against Scott Carson. Here is some of what Saturday’s competitors had to say about their upcoming fights.


Nick Diaz

“I feel good and I’m ready to fight. Cyborg has a unique style and I know that he will give it his all and be as crazy as ever. But that’s good because I’m crazy, too.

“I have great respect for Cyborg. He is strong and has skills and comes real hard. I feel he deserves a shot.

“I think he was fighting guys too big when he was fighting at middleweight, but I might be too big for him too. Anything can happen in a fight, but I prepare for everything.’’

Evangelista Santos

“After 15 years of training and sacrificing, my dream is finally almost here. I am very excited at the chance to make my mark. I can promise you I will do my best to pull out the win.

“Nick Diaz is a very gallant fighter but I will press the action whether we are standing or on the ground.

“I am not worried about those who underestimate me in this fight. I am pre-occupied with winning.

“The belt always equals a build-up to your career, but first you have to win it. I feel strong and very comfortable at 170 and looking forward to a great fight against Nick Diaz.’’

Diaz (left) and Cyborg Face Off
Ronaldo Souza

“This is going to be a tough fight, and a very dangerous one. Robbie Lawler is very heavy-handed and I know to win I am going to have to play my game, which is to take him down and try and finish the fight.

“Some were surprised that I stood last time but Lawler is a different kind of fighter than I had in my last one. If I have to stand, I will, of course, but I know it is important that I keep control.

“I don’t feel either of us think that we can afford to make a mistake.’’


Robbie Lawler 
 
“I’m not looking ahead to anybody. I’m only looking ahead to Saturday’s fight.

“I work on all my skills all the time. Guys are so good at this level. Make a mistake and it will cost you.’’

Herschel Walker

“The Herschel of today would have beaten up the Herschel of a year ago. I was dumb and na├»ve when I first started. But I have learned a lot.

“This will be a good fight. Scott Carson has a lot of experience. I am looking forward to fighting again for Strikeforce and on Showtime.’’

Scott Carson 

“I feel fortunate to get this fight and I hope to make the best of it. I’m definitely prepared and ready for a fight.

“Fighting such a legendary name has certainly added a lot of hype to the fight, but I have worked very hard in training camp. I’m looking to see this fight go into the later rounds where it will be a war of attrition.’’

Roger Gracie
 
“Even though each fight is different, I treat them all the same in my approach. All fighters are dangerous. I am in with a good, very experienced fighter so I do not expect him to make any silly mistakes. I know I must be patient because he is very heavy-handed.

“I have worked very hard for this fight and am excited about fighting on a Strikeforce show on Showtime. I want to be more active in MMA and hope to fight two or three times this year.’’

Trevor Prangley 

“I think this is going to be a great chess match. Who can implement their game plan best will win. I want to fight my fight.

“I had a great camp and feel comfortable. We’ll see how it goes.’’
READ MORE - Strikeforce Main Card Competitors Ready for Saturday's Fights

Video: "Cyborg" Santos Preparing for Saturday's Title Fight

Thursday, January 27, 2011


By FCF Staff, photo courtesy Esther Lin / Strikeforce

Check out video below of Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos (pictured above with wife Cristiane) as he prepares for his upcoming title fight with Strikeforce Welterweight Champion Nick Diaz. The bout takes place Saturday night in San Jose, California and will be broadcast on Showtime.

READ MORE - Video: "Cyborg" Santos Preparing for Saturday's Title Fight

Georgi Karakhanyan Returning for Bellator Season 4


By FCF Staff

Bellator Fighting Championships has confirmed today that Georgi “Insane” Karakhanyan will once again take a run at winning the promotion’s featherweight tournament, and as has signed on to compete in the promotion’s upcoming fourth season. Karakhanyan (14-2-1) advanced to the semi-finals of Bellator’s featherweight tourney last year, by knocking out Bao Quach with a highlight reel flying knee, but lost by unanimous decision to current champ Joe Warren at Bellator 18.

“Georgi’s a dangerous fighter,” said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney in the official announcement. “His knockout of Quach was devastating and he put up a great fight against the World’s #2 Featherweight Joe Warren. Georgi will definitely be in the hunt for this tournament championship.”

Karakhanyan last competed at Bellator 28 in September and worked his way to a UD win over Anthony Leone. The 25 year-old-fighter is 9-1 in his last ten fights and his only other professional loss took place in February, 2008, when he dropped a split decision to Chris David at Gladiator Challenge 74.

“I need to take this tournament one fight at a time. I'm trying not to focus on Joe Warren right now. Whoever they put in front of me, that's who I'm going to focus in on,” said Karakhanyan, who is a former professional soccer player. “I never underestimate anyone. There are going to be some really dangerous fighters in this tournament so I'm just going to take things one fight at a time, focus on that person, and then go from there.”

Other featherweights named to the tournament so far include Eric Larkin, Kenny Foster and Zac George. Bellator’s Season 4 competition will begin in March and will be broadcast live on MTV 2.

READ MORE - Georgi Karakhanyan Returning for Bellator Season 4

New FCF Radio with Shawn Tompkins

On this episode of Full Contact Fighter Radio, host Jeff Meszaros and James Kellaris run down the ins and outs of "UFC Fight for the Troops 2" where Melvin Guillard TKO'd Evan Dunham in the main event.  Did we see that coming?  Absolutely not.  Now, it's time to reflect on how wrong we were and review the rest of the event, where Matt Mitrione smashed Tim Hague and Pat Barry devoured Joey Beltran, nearly dropping "The Mexicutioner" with leg kicks.  Let's not forget about Mark Hominick's destruction of former training partner George Roop, which took second-place in the worst beating of the night only to Matt Wiman's 15-minute annihilation of Cole Miller, which started out terrible and then got worse with every minute that went by. 

Then, it's time to chat about this weekend's Strikeforce event, where Nick Diaz is set to face Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos (no, not the girl) in a fight to crown the welterweight champion.  Will Diaz be able to handle the aggression of the Brazilian?  What about the co-main event, where Robbie Lawler and "Jacare" De Souza meet for the middleweight belt?  Will Lawler get submitted?  Or will he knock out the jiu-jitsu ace with a terrifyingly cruel clubbing? What about Roger Gracie vs. Trevor Prangley? Is there anything to say about that fight other than Prangley should not go to the ground?  We answer that question and several others, some of which are kind of irrelevant. 

Then we move on to talk with Shawn Tompkins about all the same topics, except this time with the insight of an expert coach.  Wowzers, what a show!
READ MORE - New FCF Radio with Shawn Tompkins

Video: Herschel Walker January 29th Strikeforce Trailer

Wednesday, January 26, 2011



READ MORE - Video: Herschel Walker January 29th Strikeforce Trailer

James Irvin Signs with Gladiator Challenge, Fighting Jan. 29th

By FCF Staff

James “The Sandman” Irvin is heading back to where his MMA career all began, as Gladiator Challenge has announced that the UFC vet has signed a multi-fight deal with the promotion. Irvin, who made his pro debut with Gladiator Challenge in 2003, will compete on the organization’s upcoming January 29th card in Elko, Nevada. According to the event’s poster, Irvin’s opponent will be Mike Crisman (9-19).

 “We are so pleased to have James back with us,” GC Promoter Tedd Williams was quoted saying in the official announcement. “He’s getting the platform he needs to launch himself back onto the national scene, and we get to present one of the most exciting fighters out there to our rabidly faithful GC fans. It it’s a great situation for both sides.”

Irvin (15-8) will return to Gladiator Challenge having dropped four of his last five fights. Most recently in December, the 32 year-old vet was submitted by Jorge Oliveira at Tachi Palace Fights 7. The noted striker’s last win came in October, when Irvin KO’d Angel DeAnda while competing for Rebel Fights.

“’The Sandman’ is back, baby!” said Irvin, whose last UFC win was an eight second stoppage of Houston Alexander. “Eight seconds was the old KO record…look for a new one!”

The upcoming January 29th card will also feature local fighters Jimmy Centers, Miguel Espitia, Jack Montgomery, and Justin Stayley.

READ MORE - James Irvin Signs with Gladiator Challenge, Fighting Jan. 29th

Zac George Confirmed for Bellator Featherweight Tourney


By FCF Staff; photo courtesy Bellator FC

Bellator FC continues to unveil the line-up for the promotion’s upcoming featherweight tourney, as the promotion has confirmed that Team Quest vet Zac George will participate in the competition. The Season Four tournament, which will be broadcast on MTV 2, will begin in March.

“Zac George finishes fights and often finishes them early.  Anyone he faces in our Featherweight tournament this March will need to be at the very top of their game to hope to get out with a victory,” said Bellator chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney in the official announcement.

George (20-3) will head into his Bellator debut having won six straight. The experienced kickboxer and boxer hasn’t fought since October, 2009, when he submitted Bryan Goldsby at a C3 Fights event.

“I've wanted to fight for Bellator for a while now,” said George. “It's an exciting weight class and Bellator has a bunch of really talented fighters with records similar to mine. They're hungry guys looking for their shot and they all want to go out there to beat some people up and make some money. I'm really excited about it.”

“It's going to mean the world to me “when” I win this tournament,” George said. “There is no "if" in my mind. I wouldn't enter this thing if I didn't know that I was going to go out there and stomp on some guys. I'm going to go out there and put on some exciting fights, beat these guys up, and make a living while I'm at it.”

The 27 year-old George is the second man to be confirmed for the featherweight tourney, joining the undefeated Eric Larkin (3-0).
READ MORE - Zac George Confirmed for Bellator Featherweight Tourney