Report: Georges St. Pierre Eye Injury Not Believed to be Serious

Monday, May 2, 2011

By FCF Staff

Immediately following his unanimous decision win over Jake Shields Saturday night at UFC 129, UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre informed color commentator Joe Rogan that he was unable to see out of his left eye. The statement backed up comments St. Pierre was heard making to his corner earlier, when he informed his coaching staff after the second round that he was having trouble seeing out of the eye.

According to comments attributed to St. Pierre on the fighter’s Twitter account, the champion does not believe the injury is severe, as apparently he has been told that there is no damage to his retina.

"Hey guys just want to say that I am ok. I'll need to see a doctor in the next days! Yesterday I was told it was not a retina problem"

As a result of the injury, St.Pierre did not attend Saturday night’s post-fight press conference, and went to the hospital to have his eye checked out. The following statement appeared on the fighter’s Twitter account afterwards.

"Hey everybody, leaving the hospital soon, just finished all my eye tests, I still don't see anything from my left eye but I'll be find"

With the win at UFC 129, St. Pierre extended his winning streak to nine and his overall record to 22-2. The veteran fighter is set to turn 30 on May 19th.