Brent Weedman Confirmed for Bellator WW Tourney

Sunday, January 9, 2011

By FCF Staff

Just days removed from the announcement that Dan Hornbuckle will return and compete in Bellator’s upcoming season four, welterweight tourney, the promotion has confirmed that Brent Weedman has agreed to fight in the competition.

“Brent has put on some incredible performances for us over the last two seasons, he’s earned the right to be added to the Season 4 Welterweight Tournament,” Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney said in the official announcement. “Brent has the raw talent and potential to do big things in the tournament, which will be one of our most competitive to-date.”
Weedman (17-5-1) will enter the tournament having won nine straight, a streak which includes stoppage wins over Rudy Bears, John Troyer and most recently Jacob McClintock, while competing under the Bellator banner.

“I'm always looking to finish the fight,” said Weedman.  “That's something I feel very strongly about. I'm a finisher. I've always had that mentality in any sport I've ever played. I play to win decisively.”

“It's an absolute fact that people are sleeping on me going into this tournament,” said Weedman. “This tournament is filled with big names in the welterweight division, and a couple other guys. I happen to be one of those other guys. But that doesn't affect my end of the deal. I'm still bringing it. Whether or not they know it’s coming or not is up to them.”

The winner of the Season Four welterweight tournament, which will be broadcast live on MTV 2, will earn a title fight with Bellator champion Ben Askren. The tournament is scheduled to begin in March.