Joe Riggs Signs with Bellator FC

Monday, January 10, 2011

By FCF Staff 

Well traveled veteran and former UFC contender, Joe “Diesel” Riggs, has signed with Bellator Fighting Championships. No information as to the terms of Riggs’ contract or when the 28 year-old-fighter will make his Bellator debut were given, however, it has been confirmed that the former welterweight will compete at 185lbs. (Pictured: Riggs hitting Louis Taylor)

“Joe Riggs is a battle tested veteran who brings it in every fight.   He is a great addition to our middleweight division, and I’m looking forward to seeing Joe in action during Season 4” Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney was quoted saying in a press release from the promotion.

Riggs went 2-1 in 2010; after losing by unanimous decision to Jay Hieron at Strikeforce’s “Miami” card in January, the Arizona fighter went on to stop Louis Taylor in August. Riggs last competed in November, when he earned a first round, TKO victory over Trent Thorne while fighting on a King of the Cage Canada card.

“This is the healthiest and the happiest that I can ever remember being in my life,” said Riggs. “I'm in the prime of my life, I'm injury-free, and things have just really come together in my life. I just can't wait to show everyone what I have.”

“Bellator has a lot of well-rounded, talented guys in their middleweight division. Guys like Bryan Baker, Eric Schambari, and of course the Middleweight Champion, Hector Lombard. There are some really good middleweights for me to test myself against, and it was one of the reasons I came to Bellator.”

The charismatic fighter has been competing professionally since 2001 and holds wins over Joe Doerksen, Phil Baroni, Chris Lytle, Kendall Grove, and Nick Diaz.