Fedor and Silva Talk Upcoming Bout, HW Grand-Prix

Friday, January 14, 2011


By FCF Staff

After weeks of speculation as to when the renowned Fedor Emelianenko would fight next, not only did Strikeforce and M-1 Global confirm recently that he would face Antonio Silva, February 12th, the promotions announced that the bout was part of an upcoming heavyweight grand-prix, featuring several of the world’s more notable heavyweights. (Pictured: Fedor hitting Brett Rogers)

In anticipation of the quarter-final fight, which will be hosted by the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey, Strikeforce and M-1 Global held a teleconference yesterday with both Emelianenko and Silva on the line. In addition, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker was also a participant, and he proceeded to clarify as to whether or not Alistair Overeem’s heavyweight title would be on the line.

The tournament, which will be broadcast live on Showtime, will also see Andrei Arlvoski face Sergei Kharitonov on February 12th. The other quarterfinal bouts in the three stage, grand-prix include Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers and Fabricio Werdum vs. the aforementioned Overeem.

Here are some of the call’s highlights.

Scott Coker

“There was some confusion on the rules and regulations so I just wanted to clarify. All quarterfinal and semifinal matches will be scheduled for three, five-minute rounds and the tournament final will be five, five-minute rounds for the Strikeforce World Grand Prix Championship. Any fight that ends in a draw, an independent fourth judge will determine the winner and who advances based on the fighters overall performance in the fight. If a fighter qualifies to advance in the tournament but for whatever reason cannot continue to fight in the tournament, we are forming a five-person tournament review committee who will select a fighter to advance in his place. This fighter will come from a pool of fighters which will include previous opponents and winners of reserve matches.

“The review committee will be headed by Strikeforce rules committee director Cory Schaefer, who has been with us since the beginning. The winner of the final match will be crowned Strikeforce World Grand Prix Champion and will have the opportunity to fight for the Strikeforce World Championship belt at that time.


 Fedor Emelianenko

“Nothing has changed for me (since the loss). I train just as I’ve trained before. It just so happened that I had made an error in the previous fight so in training I have just worked on trying not to make that same mistake again. For me nothing has changed inside of me and I still have the same beliefs. I just want to train harder for the next fight.

“I feel very good about participating in this tournament. I feel very proud to be part of the eight who have been chosen and I feel proud to be representing my country in the tournament. I’m training to win the tournament. I’m training hard and whatever happens after that is up to God but I’m training hard and I look forward to performing.

“I’m ready and prepared to step into the cage against Fabricio (Werdum) at any time. It’s something that I’d very much like to do. In regard to Antonio, he’s a very tough opponent, a very dangerous opponent. We’ve never fought before so I’m very happy that we’re getting the opportunity to fight. We’ve seen each other in locker rooms and he’s always been very cordial and a nice person. He’s very qualified and I think it’s going to be a great fight. I really don’t think that I should be fighting anyone else and I’m just going to fight whoever they want me to fight.”

“I’m probably going to train in Russia. I’m more comfortable there and I like to be close to my family. It’s likely I’ll probably stay in Russia. But I wouldn’t mind training somewhere else and with someone like Shane Carwin, who is a good fighter. But most likely I’ll stay in Russia.

Antonio Silva

“I am very happy to be fighting Fedor, who people still consider the No. 1 heavyweight in the world. Fedor is a legend and to be a legend you have to beat a legend. And I’m ready to be the best heavyweight in the world.

“Fedor is the best so this is the top of the food chain. For me, this is the final and I will give it all I have to make this happen. This is my dream and I’m going to beat the legend and I’m going to be a legend.

“I think Fedor is a complete fighter and he’s very well-rounded. It’s tough to determine how this fight will go. I think I will do more stand up in this fight. If it goes to the ground then it does. One thing I have in my mind is that Werdum showed to the world that Fedor’s main weakness is on the ground. But he’s a complete fighter and I’m going to follow where the fight goes.

“Everyone has been saying that I can be the man to beat Fedor in the future. And now I know in my mind that I can beat him. I know this is the right time and that God has given me this time and that I can beat the great Fedor.”